Dar-es-salaam City Tour


Dar es Salaam

Dar es Salaam – “house of Peace” formerly Mzizima, is the largest city in Tanzania. Dar es Salaam lost its official status as capital city to Dodoma in 1974; it remains the center of the permanent central government bureaucracy and continues to serve as the capital for the surrounding.

Dar es Salaam is the commercial capital of the country; it wields immense political and economical power. The atmosphere is pleasant in the city with picturesque Harbour, exotic beaches, and historical buildings such as state house, Ocean Road hospital and churches, as well as the most famous sculpture of Askari Monument. It is the city renowned for its lively nightlife

dar-es-salaam

To escape the city and enjoy a change of pace, try the readily accessible beaches to the north and south of Dar, climb into the tropical forest around Pugu Hills or make the short hop to one of the outlying islands, where you can relax and unwind away from the hurly burly of the centre.

Uhuru Torch – Mnazi Mmoja

It was built in 1961, Commemorating Tanganyika’s Independence. On one side is seen the Uhuru Torch Monument, erected to symbolize the Freedom Torch placed on the peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro upon Tanzania’s attainment of Independence. On the other side of the park is the Republic Fountain which commemorated the foundation of the republic in 1962

Clock Tower

– it was built 1961

Askari Monument

The Askari Monument stands on the location of statue to Major Herman Von Wissmann, a German explorer and soldier, who became Governor of German East Africa in 1895. The first statue of Von Wissmann was erected in 1911 to celebrate the German victory in 1888, and then demolished in 1916 when the British occupied Dar es Salaam.

The current statue was erected in 1927, Askari Monument, is cast in bronze and depicts an askari (soldier) in a World War I uniform, the bayonet of his rifle pointing towards the nearby harbor. The monument commemorates the African troops who fought and died during the 1914-18 conflict. Rudyard Kipling, the famous British writer and poet wrote the inscription that appears in English and Swahili.